Dead Dynamo

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Dead Dynamo
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:25:44 +0100
Hello everyone!

My dynamo decided to die on me this weekend on the way to Donington Park
to watch the TSSC'ers.

If I explain what happened - perhaps someone will have an idea.

Firstly - I am pretty sure the car was in a good state - as far as I
knew all the wires were connected correct - the car was going great the
day before. Anyway - here is the series of events:

1) I get going on the motorway and slowly gain speed to about 80 - I
hear a pop - the speedos glass is all smoked up... so I pull over and
check that everything is OK. Everything seems fine except that it seems
that a bulb has blown in the speedo...

2) About a mile later the car looses all power - so I pull over - the
car continues to run - despite the fact that I've disconnected the
ignition - I pull out one of the coil cables and it stops. Next I check
under the distributor cap - two of the wires are disconnected (I may
have knocked them off when I pulled the cap) - so we reconnect them and
get going again...

3) A slight burning smell comes in to the cabin - doesnt seem too bad -
and could be just something burning off - then smoke starts coming
through. I pull off and have another check. The dynamo is puffing smoke
- but then slowly this stops - the services arent too far away so I head
for them slowly. We stop there and the smoke has stopped - by this time
I decide that its not a good idea to carry on and do the 100 miles to
Donington! :o) So I head back towards home...

4) I start going again and it runs fine - so I go a bit quicker and it
starts smoking again. I slow down and it stops... (probably a bit stupid
of me - but the car was running fine) - anyway - Im making progress home
and suddenly there is a loud squeak - and lots of smoke! I pull over and
ditch! The dynamo has siezed up, making the fan belt stick to it too.

I call the recovery vehicle and wait 2 hours for it to pick me up and
take me the further 10 miles home.

Now I am going to change the dynamo for the A127 unit that was in my
1500... no question there - but what the hell happened?

On Sunday I had a look at everything - somehow the black wire on the far
left terminal on the regulator had been pulled off - and also the oil
pressure lead too had been pulled - if I hadnt known better I would have
thought someone had sabotaged my car! :o|

What would the effect of removing the wire to the regulator be? My guess
is that it didnt regulate and the voltage went up and blew the bulb. And
did whatever damaged it would have done to the dynamo...

James

69 Signal Red Spit