Re: Pulling apart rusted exhausts and how to prevent

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Pulling apart rusted exhausts and how to prevent
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:30:54 -0500
My personal preferred method is to use my 4.5 angle grinder and a
cutting wheel.  I carefully cut a double slice in the outer pipe.  Then
I use a chisel and hammer to bend it away and slip the piece off.  If
I'm careful and lucky, I can ru-use the cut piece.

I have seen at the car shows a $40 exhaust pipe puller-a-parter
thingie.  Have no idea what the real name of it is, or how well it
actually works.  It's essentially a pair of super duty pipe clamps with
threaded rods joining them.  The idea is you place the clamps on
opposite pipes of the joint you want to separate, and then using the
threaded rods force them apart.

As for preventing rust, I've painted exhaust systems with various
paints with moderate success over the years.  Much of the exhaust is too
cool to cure a high temperature paint.  However, at bends like going
over the axle, the pipe gets much hotter and will burn off regular
paints.  Next painting try (next month in fact) will be with some cold
galvanization coating.

>>> "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> 10/29/02 01:40PM >>>
Hi Listers,

What is the typical method of pulling a rusted intermediate pipe from
silencer?

I had a quick go at trying to remove it this afternoon - but it seems
quite
well stuck.

The next one to go on will be mild steel again - is there anything I
can do to
stop, or at least slow the rust down?

I only fitted the silencer last christmas, from now on I vow only to
buiy
stainless steel....