sticky calipers

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: sticky calipers
From: tim dafforn <mqbsstrd@man.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:09:39 +0100
Hi All,

During my restoration of Sophie I spent some time replacing the seals on
my brake calipers. I then drove the car on an off for a couple of years.
Recently I have noticed that after about 15 minutes running, the brakes
start squeeling very slightly (when the brakes are not applied).
Applying the brakes stops the squeeling, as does cornering, and
sometimes they stop squeeling all on their own.
I have had the front up on stands and felt the run of the wheels and
there seems to be very very slight stiffness on both which suggests that
the pads may be rubbing (the calipers are not hot after a run, just a
little warm (50oC)).
Now, could this just be a result of the car not being used enough (see
previous mails).
Is there an easy solution.?
Would driving the car more solve the problem?
Cheers
Tim

--
Dr Tim Dafforn