Re: Rear Brakes

To: "Spitfire list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Brakes
From: "Tod Jones" <todjones@rica.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:05:45 -0400
> Question for the group....
>
> On the rear brakes on a Mk1 Spit, should the cylinder work normally with
the
> drum removed?

No

> Part of my MOT failure was the rear brakes pulling unevenly.  After using
an
> impact screwdriver to remove the screws holding the drum and much bashing
> remove the drum (yes I turned the small adjustment screw to disengage the
> pads) the brakes were finally revealed.  The shoes were very well worn at
> the top on both sides.

They are worn at the top because they are not self adjusting. The spitfires
brakes need to be periodicaly adjusted. otherwise you get brakes worn at the
top and not the botom.

> I wanted to see what happened when the brakes were applied (ie was there
> uneven pressure on the pads causing the problem).  The first press of the
> pedal moved the left hand pad out but not the right.

This is normal. The brake cylender housing only has one piston. when the
piston pushes against one brake shoe and it hits against the brake drum the
housing floats and aplies pressure against the other shoe.

>Second press caused the rubber to break and spray brake fluid all over the
place.  >Should you get this reaction?

Yes

> My thought is no but I wondered if I was being stupid in that the brakes
should only be >applied with the drum in place.  Obviously I am now looking
at new brake cylinders.

No you are not, but you are looking at new brake pads. Once the brake pads
are contaminated they are bad.  on the bright side you needed new pads
anyway. just put the piston back in the housing and clean it up good with
brake cleaner and you should be ok.

> Do feel that I take two steps back to gain one forward sometimes......
>
> Martin

It may seem that way, but that is what this list is for.  ;)

Tod Jones
67 Spit Mk II
Harrisonburg VA.