Re: Which engine to rebuild?

To: "Spit Elist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Which engine to rebuild?
From: "Ken C" <sdspitfire@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:30:47 -0700
Hi Kevin,

Lots of opinions out there on this subject. The '69 1296 engine is
considered to be a good one. A bit less lower end weight to throw around,
higher rpm capability, easier on the thrust and crank bearings. That said, I
still prefer the 1500, which is what's in my '72. It's got more low end
torque, more hp, and is a bunch easier to drive around town.

If your engine will spend a lot of time above 5000 rpm, go for the 1296. If
you're just out to have a good time, the 1500 is the way to go.

But, and there is always a 'but', you can't just throw a 1500 into your '69,
they are not completely interchangeable. The 1500 normally uses a different
clutch/flywheel and will not mate up with the 3-rail transmission, the
splines are different. You should be able to use the flywheel and clutch
from the 1296, or you could re-drill/tap the 1500 flywheel for a 1296
clutch, but check it out first. I ended up changing out both the engine and
transmission, they were purchased together.

And in addition to the normal engine rebuild, if you massage the cylinder
head a bit (larger intake valves, gas flow), shave off about 1/4" (brings
the compression up to about 9.5:1), drop on a couple of HS4's, pop in a
'high-lift' road camshaft, and pump everything out through a less
restrictive exhaust system (4-2-1 header, 2 1/2" pipe), you will really
enjoy driving it !

Good luck,

Ken C

> I am looking for some reasoned advice. I need to rebuild one of my
Spitfire