Engine Swap Update no. 3

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Swap Update no. 3
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:27:21 +0100
Hi Listers,

Firstly thanks to all those who gave me the encouragement and tips - my
account isn't receiving mail at the moment - but a fellow lister told me I got
some replies - and sent them to me by other means. Hopefully I should get them
all when it starts working again.

Well..... erm..... it rained.... and we didnt get the engine or gearbox in....
but somehow we were grining on the way home and actually saying we enjoyed
it.... it didnt feel like that when we were soaked through. It took at least
10 minutes under the shower until my goose bumps started to go. My hands were
numb to the point I couldnt feel the spanners anymore, that engine could have
fell on my hand and I wouldnt have felt it.

So, what happend.... well we got the engine out in the morning - got the
gearbox out after that. Then it started raining, and it hasnt stopped yet.
Then we put the new gearbox in, through the front - but pushed it back so it
didnt get in the way of the engine. Next we preped the engine - by the time we
got the engine in - it was getting dark - so we had to take it out again -
because it was too dark to try and get the gearbox in - and we had to move the
car out of the way, so the neighbour could use her driveway.

We couldnt use the new gearbox because it didnt have the right mounting (we
found this out after having drained and filled the thing with oil!), didnt
have the 2 rubber mounts that go at 45 degrees, instead it had a sort of
rubber mount like the engine ones. So Im having to go with my old
gearbox......... however........ when we removed the gearbox - we found that
the pin that hold on to the part that pushes the clutch wasnt there - the old
gearbox worked - and I dont think it came out when we removed it. So I think
Ive been using a gearbox with out this pin - so the whole thing moved in and
out. (The pin Im talking about is the pin opposite where the slave cylinder is
- inside the bell housing) Not sure what effect this has.... the only thing
wrong with the gear change was the syncs on 1 and 3. Just as long as that
wasnt making the knocking noise in my engine, or I'll be really pissed off.

Anyway, Im still without a car..... but Im just a little bit closer to having
her on the road again...

James