Herald, rim and tire questions

To: Herald Triumph <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Herald, rim and tire questions
From: "Javier Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 04:46:21 -0700 (PDT)
HHH (Hello Herald Humans),

How's that for an acronym (my apologies to the happy
warrior, Hubert Horatio Humphrey).

I asked on the list a few weeks ago about the correct
tire size for a Herald.
My Questions and Andy Mace's Answer dated Tue, 24 Sep
2002

Q:There is a sale on locally made radial tires
(US$49.95 the pair) size 155 x 13.  Would this size
tire on 13/60 4.5 inch rims be OK?  Too narrow?

A:No, actually that's nearly perfect, and it's exactly
the size of wheel and tire used on most later
Spitfires.

I was looking at the Herald 13/60 Handbook that came
with Winston and it specifies a 3.5D (inch rim width)
for the Saloon and Convertible and a 4.5J (inch rim
width) for the Estate.  Winston the 1970 13/60 Saloon
came with (6) 4.5 inch rims of an estate, but then he
also has an estate fuel tank (PO modification).  I
also have a set of (4) 3.5 inch rims that came with
Petunia the 1965 1200 Convertible. These 4 are the
least dented and hold air with tubeless tires.

Mid afternoon Friday I took the (4) 3.5 inch rims to
be cleaned, trued/rectified and painted.  I went to an
area along the Avenida Mexico in La Victoria where
there is a concentration of automotive related
enterpises crowding in shopfronts and on the actual
sidewalks and streets, performing all types of repairs
in the public way, yes even auto painting. The first
place I visit no sooner do I open my trunk to show the
owner the rims that he says "Triumph".  I took it as a
good sign. Struck a deal, left the rims and returned
at 4:30 pm Saturday to find the rims waiting for me
dentless, true and with a nice automotive quality
baked enamel finish, all black with a silver face
(white and black were also options).  A real bargain
at only S/100.00 (Peruvian Nuevos Soles) = US$27.47.

Questions:
In what color did the wheels come painted from the
factory?

What does the "D" and "J" stand for after the width
value?

Did the factory specify conventional or radial tires
for the Herald in 1970? In 1965?

If they did not specify radials, are they a better
choice and would they make that much of a difference
in handling over conventional tires on a Herald?

I am assuming that a 155x13 tire is a perfect match
for a 3.5 rim, correct?

What would be to much tire width for the 3.5 rim,
165x13? 175x13?

What is the widest tire that will fit without rubbing
on the body work, especially in the rear where I have
noticed limited clearance?

Would I be better off trueing up a set of 4.5 rims and
mounting a wider tire?

What is a better match for the 4.5 rim, 165x13 or
175x13?  I intuit that a 175x13 tire may rub in the
rear wheel well, a that a 185x13 will.

In keeping with Winstons "Peruvian Spec" I want to put
locally made tires on him. This is what is available.

Omega 650x13, conventional, made in Peru

Lima Caucho 155x13, radial, made in Peru
Lima Caucho 165x13, radial, made in Peru

This brand is perfectly adapted to the streets of
Lima. Being of nylon construction they better cushion
the shock of all the potholes and save wear on the
vehicle.  Steel belted tires are not a favorite for
city driving.

Goodyear 155x13, conventional, made in Peru
Goodyear A70x13, conventional, made in Peru
Goodyear A78x13, conventional, made in Peru
These have a more period look than modern radials on a
Herald.  Any opinions on tire aesthetics and the
Herald?

Reporting from Peru, Javier Vidaurre