Re: Engine and gearbox found x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine and gearbox found x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:43:29 +0100
On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, at around 14:28:24 local time, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> wrote:
>Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>> Bloody hell!   Please take a digital video camera and record this for
>> posterity.   I'd love to see someone get an engine and gearbox out that
>> fast, without simply cutting the car from around it with an
>> oxy-acetylene torch!
>
>Well, I was quite amazed at this statement. I think perhaps an hour would be
>quick...
>
>If he can take it out that quick, maybe I'll take take my Spit, and whilst I
>count the cash for him, he can put it in my car.

Sound idea. <g>

>Incredibly, the current motor doesnt leak, never left an oil patch anywhere.

Ah, well, you see, there's your problem.   A Spitfire engine is designed
on the "continuous oil change" principle...

>> Ideally, run it under load (i.e. drive the car), and see how it
>> performs.
>
>The car doesnt have a clutch in it at the moment, so that might be a little
>difficult. At least I think thats what he said.

Pity.   Mind you, if he can remove an engine in twenty minutes, he can
probably fit a new clutch in five.   You could always ask him to bung a
new clutch in before you go to look at the engine. <g>

>Only thing that concerns me that I have to change is the distributor - its
>electronic - but this is just something you can unscrew and swap, right?

I haven't a clue; I don't have electronic ignition.

>> If you have appropriate lifting gear, I understand that it is much
>> easier to swap the whole engine and gearbox together.
>
>I'll rent one or hopefully borrow one off my uncle.

If you are borrowing lifting gear, make sure that it is (a) rated for
the job (almost any engine hoist should be OK for a little engine like a
Spitfire 1500, but do check, and check the straps, chains, etc. too),
and (b) that it all has recent certificates.   Lifting gear wears out,
and it is no fun to see your engine crash to the floor (perhaps with
your leg underneath it) because an old strap has chosen that moment to
snap.   I used to work for a Rolls Royce company, where lifting gear was
strictly controlled, and beautifully colour-coded, just as the law
required.   We still managed to drop (and write off) a 16-ton
finish-machined baseplate because some damn fool had used an odd strap
that he had found behind a cupboard...

>My plan is to recon the current engine, if its repairable. And then swap them
>over - either when the new one dies or when I get the recon finished. The I can
>sell the old (new) one....

Excellent idea.   Even if you don't finish the job of reconditioning
your old engine, you'll still have learnt an awful lot about how it goes
together, and which bits do what.   And if you do finish the job, you
will feel smug as hell driving a car with an engine you built yourself!

>> Treat this as a temporary solution to your problem.   At GBP150, you can
>> almost treat this as a consumable item, to be replaced again when new
>> problems show up.   This is my attitude to the fifty-quid gearbox I put
>> into Carly.   I've had a year out of it already, and if it died
>> tomorrow, I'd still reckon that it didn't owe me anything.
>
>I see it like this too - it will buy me time whilst I recon the current engine,
>if it dies in a year - the cost will still be cheaper than a recon from
>Rimmer/TRGB etc etc

By a long way...

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671