Re: Engine and gearbox found x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>,
Subject: Re: Engine and gearbox found x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 14:28:24 +0100
Mike,

Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:

> Bloody hell!   Please take a digital video camera and record this for
> posterity.   I'd love to see someone get an engine and gearbox out that
> fast, without simply cutting the car from around it with an
> oxy-acetylene torch!

Well, I was quite amazed at this statement. I think perhaps an hour would be
quick...

If he can take it out that quick, maybe I'll take take my Spit, and whilst I
count the cash for him, he can put it in my car.

> Start the engine (but don't rev it), and listen for crankshaft rumble.
> If this continues for more than a few seconds, then walk away.
>
> Spitfire engines tend to be a bit tappety anyway, but there are limits.
> See what it sounds like.
>
> Obviously (it is a Spitfire, after all), check for oil leaks.   You'll
> be very lucky to find an engine without any at all, but watch out for
> major oil slicks, particularly around the sump gasket, head gasket and
> rocker cover gasket.

Incredibly, the current motor doesnt leak, never left an oil patch anywhere.

> Ideally, run it under load (i.e. drive the car), and see how it
> performs.

The car doesnt have a clutch in it at the moment, so that might be a little
difficult. At least I think thats what he said.

> If you are just hoisting the whole engine out and dropping it into your
> engine bay, then all I would suggest you do is change air and oil
> filters, and plugs.   Beware Shipwright's Disease!   *Don't* start
> thinking, "Oh, well, while it's out, I'll just..."   You'll end up
> stripping and rebuilding the whole thing.   This is not the idea.   The
> idea is to get your car back on the road again quickly.

Hmm, I could fall in to this trap easily, if it weren't for the fact I want my
car back ASAP.

Well, air filters are K&Ns and I "re-charged" them 6 months, new plugs - again
only 6 months old out of the new engine.

Only thing that concerns me that I have to change is the distributor - its
electronic - but this is just something you can unscrew and swap, right?

> If you have appropriate lifting gear, I understand that it is much
> easier to swap the whole engine and gearbox together.

I'll rent one or hopefully borrow one off my uncle.

> See note about Shipwright's Disease above.   Yes, this would be a good
> idea - but so would getting your engine reconditioned by TRGB. Assuming
> that the engine runs OK, and there are no worrying symptoms of major
> problems, just dump it in and drive your car.   If the engine dies on
> you at some point in the future, it may have lasted long enough that you
> can then afford a recon!

My plan is to recon the current engine, if its repairable. And then swap them
over - either when the new one dies or when I get the recon finished. The I can
sell the old (new) one....

> Treat this as a temporary solution to your problem.   At GBP150, you can
> almost treat this as a consumable item, to be replaced again when new
> problems show up.   This is my attitude to the fifty-quid gearbox I put
> into Carly.   I've had a year out of it already, and if it died
> tomorrow, I'd still reckon that it didn't owe me anything.

I see it like this too - it will buy me time whilst I recon the current engine,
if it dies in a year - the cost will still be cheaper than a recon from
Rimmer/TRGB etc etc

James