Re: RIP Spitfire..... diagnosis?.... x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RIP Spitfire..... diagnosis?.... x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 19:20:09 +0100
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, at around 16:07:51 local time, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> wrote:
>Dear Listers,

<snip>

OK, it sounds as though that engine is BER (Beyond Economical Repair -
i.e. you can replace it far more cheaply).   Forget repairing this for
the time being.

>Now, on to the price, thats the price TRGB quoted me, for the engine and
>the gearbox to be reconditioned, and that was worse case where
>everything needs to be done. The price included transportation from
>Chingford up to them, which is 75 pounds.

And would sir like a new car, now that his ashtray is full? <g>   I love
TRGB, don't get me wrong, but they won't do a cheap-and-cheerful fix in
their workshops.   They will only do the very best job they possibly
can.   Their labour rates are comparatively low (GBP25 per hour, IIRC),
but if they have quoted you for a full recon of engine and gearbox, that
is what you will get.   The engine and gearbox will be worth more than
your car.   They are likely to be better than they would have been
coming out of the Standard-Triumph factory in the first place.

>Now, on the advice of Bill, I've had a look in Loot (classified ads) and
>found a guy selling a some Triumph spares (1500 engine, overdrive, and a
>few other misc bits) which is not too far from Chingford, about 20
>minutes away in fact. Im yet to phone up, but will do to find out some
>more. (There was a more interesting ad of a complete 1500 in all the way
>over in chester selling for 300 pounds - it has a "very good engine" -
>I'd buy it if it werent so far away and if I had somewhere to store the
>thing)

Talk to the guy and try to find out just how good this engine is.   Ask
around (on the lists and elsewhere) to see if there is someone up
Chester way who would go and look at the engine for you.   If it turns
out to be a recently-reconditioned engine, with documentary evidence
from a reputable garage, then catch the train, collect the car, and
drive it home.   Assuming the bodywork has completely had it, you can
either swap the engine into your car, or swap your body onto the new
chassis!

>The trouble is again, trying to figure out a way of transporting stuff -
>I guess an engine will fit in the boot of my Dads car.

If it has a Spitfire attached to it, it is self-transporting...

> And where to do
>the work, having no garage. Unless of course I get the local garage to
>do it.

I don't know what prices are like in your area, but I've just rented a
garage in Bedford for GBP30 per month, on a six-month let.   You can do
a lot of work in six months.

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671