Re: Brake Servo

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Servo
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:40:33 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>

> So my question: How about fitting a brake servo to my car? I think the one
>Rimmer's sell is about 100 pounds or so. Anyone got it?

Hi James,
    I used to own a 2 owner from new (father & son) MkIV Spitfire which had
been fitted with a servo.

>Does it make that much difference?

Well if you really don't have enough to spend your money on, you might consider
it worthwhile. Remember that a servo doesn't actually increase the performance
of your brakes, it just gives you the same level of braking for less physical
effort from the driver. Now I have driven a Mk1 Triumph 2000 with a non-working
servo and it was quite a handful to stop - that's a ton and a half of car! On
the Spitfire the servo was a complete waste of time! The car weighs next to
nothing and takes little physical effort to stop, unless of course there's
something else wrong with your braking system. Then again, I'm not the world's
smallest bloke, so it might just be me.......
    Cheers,
        Bill.

PS
  A guy I used to work with (this was when I was in the electronics industry,
before I started selling car parts!) was talking about how he was going to
uprate the brakes on his Spitfire 1500. I asked him if he could lock up the
wheels with the brakes he had - he said that he could. I suggested that a tyre
upgrade was perhaps a better way to spend his money.

--
Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232
Calne