Re: Vacuum port clarification

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Vacuum port clarification
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:03:28 -0700
>I think your point is that not all vacuum retard units are designed to
>retard the spark when vacuum is applied.  Some retard the spark in the
>absence of vacuum.
*********************************
Well. . .no, actually my point was that some listers were using slightly
mistaken terminology.  Calling the manifold "port" an "advance or retard"
port.  While its understandable, and I am guilty of this same thing
sometimes, it may give those not in the know a wrong sense of application.
It's simply a vacuum port, nothing more.  It has no bearing on advanced or
retard other than it may connect to an advance or retard mechanism.  Some
listers may think that simply hooking up their distributors diaphragm to
the "advance" port will automatically give them an advance on the
distributor and by the same token simply hooking the same distributor up to
the "retard" port will give them a retarded curve.  This is not so.  It's
the diaphragm and the way it's configured on the distributor that
determines if in fact you have an advance or retard unit - that's all