I don't believe it.

To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject: I don't believe it.
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:47:55 -0500
I finally got around to pulling the big ends of the connecting rods to see
how the connecting rod bearings looked on the crankshaft.

I pulled them on the old motor first.  Before I took number 3 off, I tried
to move the rod end.  It moved over a quarter of an inch before I touched a
single bolt.

As I expected the shells were well worn.  Except number 3.  It had no
bearing shell.  None.  Not even a scrap of one.  Number 3 was the piston
that had the low compression, too.  Do you think there is a
connection?  And more to my surprise, the bearing and the connecting rod
end had only a few small abrasions.

One of these days soon, my 1 13/16" socket should arrive and I'll be ready
to take out the two crankshafts and take them to the machine shop.

Any words of wisdom about taking out the crankshaft?

Thanks.

Jeff Gruber