Re: Commission Plates

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Commission Plates
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:51:25 -0400
> So, it would not suprise me at all if what you've seen is another example
of exactly that.  Though it may very well have been a worker "making due".
If it would have required shutting down the line to allow the worker to get
another punch, or facing an irate supervisor about needing another punch, it
becomes even more likely.

> Looking at a friends MK IV Spit tonight, I noticed a few
> interesting points about the commission plate and the dash.
>
> The stamped date is APR 1971, the comm number is FKI1429 L.

I don't think this is a case of making do, although I know it used to be
done, as the number following is the same one, and it would stand to reason,
if the person stamping was doing it by hand, he would only need a quantity
of 1 number 1, and just stamp it twice.

I would look into the possibility of there being an I in some serials.

Scott