Commission Plates

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Commission Plates
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:18:39 -0600
Looking at a friends MK IV Spit tonight, I noticed a few
interesting points about the commission plate and the dash.

The stamped date is APR 1971, the comm number is FKI1429        L.

Note that the third digit is definitely an "I", compared to
the fourth digit which is definitely a "1".  The "I" has no
tails, points or seriphs, while the "1" has the upswept
point at the top.  The "L" is separated from the rest by a
long distance.

Any suggestions why?

Inattentive worker at the factory picking up the wrong
stamp?
Intentionally an "I" for some reason? Although Joe's list
shows no others like it.
Perhaps a replacement plate, carelessly stamped by DPO?

I know any are possible, what do you think?

On the dash - it is the moulded plastic, but with wood
veneer overtop.  The veneer looks factory fitted, but with a
cord trip glued around the edges of each piece.  Is this an
owner's production?

Cheers, Fred
--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths