Painting a Chassis

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Painting a Chassis
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:04:05 -0700
I've got the chassis and tub separated on my Mk III and the body in the air
on a rotisserie and the chassis on its original wheels.  Next I'll pull the
engine and transmission and then start on things like wheels, suspension
arms, rear end, etc.  All of this is being torn down for painting, rebuild,
and reassembly.

While the car will be the original red the car came in (it's as good of an
excuse as any to make the final color be red when the original color was
that), I'm not sure how to do the chassis.  Technically it should be red
like the body and in fact it is when I dig through the grease.  I plan on
painting the chassis with Hammerite since its durability has been proven by
others restoring their cars where standard paint chips and can will require
a lot of touchup.  I suppose I could go for the epoxy paints, but I simply
don't have that sort of money.  So Hammerite it will be.  That also lets me
paint components as I go along after I get the chassis frame done.

If I paint the chassis with red Hammerite, will that look odd against the
stock Carmine Red (I'm pretty sure it was Carmine...) we have on the body?
Or would it be better to do it up in universal black?  I really like the
idea of a red chassis with black components like the spring, control arms,
etc.  I could do it totally in black and choose parts like the leaf spring
and front coil springs to do in red I suppose for contrast, but a red frame
would really be the ticket.

Suggestions?  Ideas?

 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |