Spring Compressor

To: "Spitfires List Server" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spring Compressor
From: "Chris Sharp" <sharpc@interaxs.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:23:08 -0400
This weekend, I rebuilt the front end of my '64 spit:  New shocks, trunions,
& bushings.  I didn't have a spring compressor handy so thought I'd try an
old hot-roder trick.  I disconnected the upper ball joint then jacked up the
lower wish bone to take the load off of the upper shock nuts.  Then I
removed the upper shock nuts and carefully lowered the jack.  I was then
able to pry the spring off of the upper perch with almost no effort.
Installation was the reverse.

OK, the question is:  Are my springs shot or is the spring compressor really
unnecessary?

Chris
'64 Spitfire4 A.K.A. Stella