Fw: aircraft stripper

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: aircraft stripper
From: "Mike Ross" <MIKEROSS@Prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:48:04 -0400
>IMHO I would take the carcass to a body shop and have it "media
blasted"
>with a non-metal harming media. then spray a protective coating of
primer
>over the bare metal ASAP.  You get a bodywork ready chassis back and
don't
>have to worry about taking years off your life inhaling the stuff.
Cost for
>media blasting a "prepared" body (i.e. no chrome or windows, etc) was
about
>300 bucks in Memphis 3 years ago. Your mileage may vary.

I  took my frame to Cincinnatti Metal Finishing last year to have it
alkalin dipped to remove all paint, grease, etc. from inside and
outside the frame.  Cost was $250.00.  They sprayed a coating that
kept it rust free for a couple of months.  For $70.00, Z-bart
Rustproofing sprayed the inside with a substance that looks like
waxoil.  After that the frame was shiny new looking and ready for
primer and paint.

Mike Ross   http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/
'63 Spitfire
'66 Spitfire
'70 GT6
'68 Spitfire (body for GT6 convertible project)