Re: Washer Pump and Bottle

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Washer Pump and Bottle
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:09:51 -0400
Most of the water on the "shelf" comes from
rain entering the heater intake (on the rear edge of the bonnet),
and overflowing out the drain hold onto the shelf.  The washer
bottle shouldn't contribute any additional water!

MK I cars had a metal tube that carried water from the aforementioned
drain hole over the shelf and drained it over the edge of the firewall
(onto the bellhousing.)  I guess this would be an improvement.

Water collecting on the shelf is a fundamental design flaw.
The best fix, I guess is to keep the paint in good shape and
immediately fix any rust that may be forming.

Also, driving the car quickly dries this area off, due to the blast
of hot air from the engine.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit