Supercharger

To: mk1_1500@hotmail.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Supercharger
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:05:36 -0700
>The fix is to get a late model pumpkin and install a Quaife limited slip
>differential.  Ask Barry if he has had any broblems with his V6 using that
>combination.  I have heard that he has been known to light up the oversized
>tires on the car from time to time.
>
>Barry?  Comments?
*************************************
Sure, No problem
I can't remember for sure but when I inquired I believe that Quaife stated
the diff was *good for about 200 hp* but don't quote me on that.  After all
it's the same diff used in the TR7 with a 2 liter -  Having said that, I
have lit them up on several occasions (actually only in the burnout area of
route 66. I don't make it a practice of burning the tires just cause I can)
 and am still driving the car without any problems.  And by light them up I
mean tach it up, dump the clutch, and smoke (both of) them for as long as I
could safely keep my foot in the throttle.  So used with discretion, I
don't see any problems with 200hp although the axle u-joints probably
wouldn't last very long.  My drive shaft u-joints, which by the way are
standard Spitfire ones, are holding up quite well even after more than 6
years of use.  Just for reference, the same size driveshaft joints are used
in the V6 Capri without trouble.  However, the Spitfire axles are under
three to four times the torque of the drive shaft (torque multiplied by the
diff ratio) and as such take a tremendous loading.  They also have to take
up the side and locational loading of the rear end as well.  That is why I
would be leery of applying a lot of torque to them for sustained periods -
the joint itself may hold up for a while, but the yoke would probably break
sooner or later - they are rather thin around the cup area, and aren't
particularly strong items -
FWIW before I converted to TR6 axles, I ran stock Spitfire ones for over
ten years without breakage -
That's my two cents -