Fitting new jets and needles

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fitting new jets and needles
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 01 Jun 2001 02:59:54 -0500
Having realised that some people (well, Mike HW specifically) were getting much
 better fuel consumption than me, I have decided that it may be a good time to
 fit the new jets and needles that I bought 9 months ago to my twin SUs,
 although she is basically running fine.

The place that I've taken Daffy to before for tuning seems to have gone
 stratospheric with their prices, and estimated 120-150 pounds to replace the
 jets and needles and do a tune-up (admittedly a proper, rolling-road dyno
 tune).  They have done great work for me before, but that really is too much,
 particularly since my only reason for doing this is to SAVE money on petrol.

So, I've found another place that has estimated 35-40 pounds to do the job.
 However, it is possible they are not quite the consummate professionals that
 the first place were.  I'm not after tweaking every last hp out of Daffy, I
 just want her set up right so she runs smoothly, economically, and passes
 emissions.  Assuming that she does this when I pick her up (well, she does all
 this already apart from being a little thirstier than she should be), is there
 anything else they could have screwed up?  How can I check they have done the
 job properly?  I have heard that it is important (and tricky) that the jet is
 centred - is there some easy way I can check they've done this right?

She's going in this afternoon, so I would really like some replies before I
 pick her up (4:00 UK time, which is 5-8 hours ahead of US times), if possible!
Also, please reply direct to my e-mail (Gosling_Richard_B@Perkins.com) as
 well/instead of the Spitfire List, as I subscribe to the Digest version so I
 often have a long wait to receive messages.

Thanks a lot,

Richard & Daffy