Re: Aaaaarggghhh!

To: OC <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aaaaarggghhh!
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 01 Jun 2001 04:32:38 -0500
Mike,

Well, we did think you had picked up a bit of a bargain - this is starting to
 sound like payback time...

If it makes you feel any better, after I bought Daffy 2 1/2 years ago I was
 fixing major things almost continually.  New engine when the big end went 3
 months after I bought her, O/D that was very slow to engage and then would
 jump in and out so I kangarooed along, window mechanism that collapsed so the
 window just flopped around, headlamp dip switch that flopped around, and
 mostly fell into the 'flash' position so draining the battery when parked,
 failed alternator, failed battery....   I think this may be what hits you if
 you get a car at the cheaper end of the market and then use her every day -
 all the weak points start to show up.  Don't worry, after 4 or 5 months you
 should have eliminated all the weak points and she will get much better, I
 promise.....

As for the exhaust, get stainless.  Given that it is only about 25% more
 expensive than mild steel, I am constantly amazed that any Spits still have
 mild steel exhausts fitted.  You might as well replace the whole thing at
 once, as the old bits will all go eventually, and it is cheaper to buy a
 complete system at once than get them bit-by-bit.

The S/S system I got from TRGB (100 quid +VAT) did have a weakness - the pipe
 leading into the silencer fatigued off where the pipe welds to the silencer.
 I took it back to TRGB, had no silencer for 4 days (NOISY!), and it was
 returned all welded up nicely with an extra support welded in.  I don't know
 if this is a common failure, just thought I'd warn you.

Richard & Daffy