Re: SU carb set up

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU carb set up
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 06:44:03 +0100
In article <3B14F012.53427A68@Fairchildsemi.com>, Howard Allen
<Howard.Allen@fairchildsemi.com> writes
>Hi;
>
>I am hoping someone on the list would be able to help me out by taking a
>few pictures of their SU carb set up, especially the cables and fuel
>line routing.  I purchased a couple SU HS2's that came out of a '69MkIII
>to put on my US 1500.

I could do you a few piccies of the set-up on a '77 UK 1500, but I'm not
certain whether this would be terribly relevant to your situation.   Let
me know if you think they might be of use.

>When I bought this car there was nothing electrically working and most
>of the guages were in the trunk, along with the dash panels.  I have
>been reading about this map light thing with interest as I have one that
>a friend gave me, but no idea what the wire is supposed to look like as
>far as color and connector type.  There are at least four wires hanging
>out of my dash harness that don't seem to go anywhere, most of which
>appear to be not original to the car.  In the end if I can't figure it
>out I will improvise (getting to be very good about that).

The Map Light has a short length of black wire coming out of the end of
it, terminating in a stubby male connector.   This connects to the
female connector of a plain red wire that should be hanging out of your
dash harness.   There may also be a length of black (earth/ground) wire
with a large ring terminal on the end of it hanging around there.   The
consensus appears to be that this goes under the retaining nut for the
Map Light.

>Any idea what a fair price for a used hood in good condition is?  A guy
>in Kennebunk has a yard full of them and wants $250.

Well, that is nearly twice what I paid for a brand new one earlier this
year, so I'm guessing that he's a little pricey!   I bought my Vynide
hood from the TSSC for #95 (USD134.90).

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"