SU carb set up

To: spit <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU carb set up
From: Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@fairchildsemi.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:05:22 -0400
Hi;

I am hoping someone on the list would be able to help me out by taking a
few pictures of their SU carb set up, especially the cables and fuel
line routing.  I purchased a couple SU HS2's that came out of a '69MkIII
to put on my US 1500.  Unfortunately (or is that fortunately?) it is
very rare here in Maine to find any Triumphs at the local wrecking yard,
so I have no idea how the accelerator and choke cables are supposed to
be connected.  I have made a bracket for the accelerator cable and this
works ok, but I think it could be better as I cannot get quite a full
throttle on it.  The fuel line routing is a real mystery to me because
the connectors on the carbs point in directions that defy logic and as
for the air filters, this is a real puzzle since I have none.

When I bought this car there was nothing electrically working and most
of the guages were in the trunk, along with the dash panels.  I have
been reading about this map light thing with interest as I have one that
a friend gave me, but no idea what the wire is supposed to look like as
far as color and connector type.  There are at least four wires hanging
out of my dash harness that don't seem to go anywhere, most of which
appear to be not original to the car.  In the end if I can't figure it
out I will improvise (getting to be very good about that).

Incidentally, after burning one main lighting switch out (Lucas, right?)
I decided that, as scarce as these are, I would connect the replacement
up so it trips two relays as the current handling capacity of the
original switch just doesn't seem adequate.  I have one relay for
parking lamps and one relay for headlamps - just an idea for anyone
facing the same issue.

Any idea what a fair price for a used hood in good condition is?  A guy
in Kennebunk has a yard full of them and wants $250.

Howard in Maine
'74 1500, work in progress