Re: Help identifying my engine

To: bill@cs.scranton.edu
Subject: Re: Help identifying my engine
From: Bob Sykes <stan.part@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:19:55 -0400
Hi Bill.

You wrote:
> Well, I'm still baffled, but not as disappointed as I was when I thought
> the engine was much older than the original.

Some of the replies were a little misleading perhaps.

> The Number is: FM125112UE
>   which is about right for the car. But according to every catalog I have
> it should have the maifold air injectors.  But it doesn't, and to my way
> of thinking (and based on my experience with removing the system from my
> 72 MGB back in '74) this is a good thing.

The catalogs are wrong.  The air rail system was first installed
on 1975 U.S. model cars and continued into the 1976 year.  I'm not
sure about 1977, but in 1978 the single tube system you have was
fitted.  This lasted until late '79 when the car got rubber bumpers.
At this point a (different) rail system was fitted injecting the
air into the heads again instead of the exhaust manifold.  Clear as
mud eh?

> However, the hamburgered up system that's on it now needs replacing and
> apparently no one actually has the tube itself, so, here's another request.
[...]

The tubes were prone to corrosion at the exhaust manifold fitting
and didn't last long.  You can easily fabricate a  replacement
if you have the check valve.  Originally, there was a fine thread
fitting screwed into the exhaust manifold.  The exact same one that
is used on the "U" pipe attached to your EGR valve if you still
have it.

Once the exhaust manifold has a little corrosion it's easy to
cross-thread or othewise bugger up this interface.  It this has
already happened to your manifold, you might have make some new
threads.

--
LBC'ing U,
Bob (& Spitfires)