Help identifying my engine

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Help identifying my engine
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:59:41 -0400 (EDT)
I'm looking for a little help.  While replacing a leaking manifold gasket
today I got a rather big surprise.  Not only am I certain that the engine
in my 79 is not the original, I'm not even sure what or where it came from.

Let me explain.  The head does not have the hole where the smog pump air
injectors go.  While I have an air pump, it goes only to a makeshift
connector stuck into the hole in the exhaust manifold.  Now, a quick look
at all of my catalogs shows that the manifold air injection cames first
and is supposed to be present on all 1500's. The manifold air injector
was added on the very late models.  If this is correct, then where did
the head on my engine come from??  Was it possible to find a European
engine over here??  Are there numbers I can get off the head and engine
that would be helpful in identifying just what I have??  Being as the
only part of the smog control left is the manifold air injector, is there
really any reason to leave any of it on??  I can't imagine that does any
real good at all.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |