Re: auto shipping

To: <paul.meyer@key3media.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: auto shipping
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 10:00:24 -0700
Paul,

Check out Wildwood Auto Transport.  Minnesota or Wisconsin.  I can't recall
which.  Their service was excellent and their pricing was reasonable.  Small
operators.  Highly recommended.  I used them to transport from Chicago to
San Diego.  They were terrific.

Bottom line:  Run, don't walk from transporters that want a large deposit or
cash in advance.  AAA Auto transport was the first outfit I tried and they
were a nightmare to deal with and it took months to get my deposit refunded.
They lied to me about using their own trucks and drivers and failed to pick
up the car a week after they had scheduled to.

There are plenty of reputatable haulers that will get the job done with full
payment due upon delivery.  I'm not saying that anyone who demands a deposit
in advance are crooked, but you really lose control of the transaction as
soon as they have your credit card number.

Another suggestion is to hire a company (like Wildwood) that owns their own
fleet of trucks and has their own drivers on the payroll.  In the case of
auto transport, my experience (I've moved two cars so far) is that "bigger"
doesn't mean "better" in the auto transport industry.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and..The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!