Re: Pro Blend - 40 Below (reply tp Nolan)

To: bschwart@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Pro Blend - 40 Below (reply tp Nolan)
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:01:18 -0400
If I might be so bold, heating up at idle would to me indicate a
lack of air in the metal to air heat transfer at the radiator.  Some
time ago, a fella posted an incidental study he did on his hot
running Spitfire, documenting the cooling changes he got
from various modifications/alternations.  The big jump was
in his air shrouds.  As I recall, they were not major modifications,
but some rather minor seeming repairs.  The end thrust of
this being that the nose design of these vehicles produces
very poor airflow through the radiator, leading to them
running hot.  I would expect the GT-6 to be worse at
this because of the additional engine heat.  The electric
fan used on the last of the Spitfires, with very good results,
seems to support this.  About after market electric fans,
I have no comment.  Many of them look quite poor to
me, but I've never used them, so I don't know for sure.
I do know that the electric fans from cars like Toyota and
Honda work very well.  They also have brackets for
mounting that don't count on the radiator core to hold
them in place.  An electric cooling can may well be in
order for your GT-6.