RE: tail happy.

To: <PorscheRcr@aol.com>
Subject: RE: tail happy.
From: "James F. Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 01:23:08 -0400
Right now there is really nothing too complex.  Spax single adjustable
dampers all around, as are the nylon bushings in everything that moves.  If
you don't have these yet, don't waste another dollar on anything else.  Call
Scott at teamtriumph.com and get them.

I am using the stock sway bar in the front.  I would like to go thinker to
decrease body roll, but that will work against us with a tendency to
oversteer already.  So until I am ready to break down and buy two bars, I am
just sticking with the original.  I even use those awful stock ball ends on
the sway bars.

I reinforced the front shock towers by cutting a piece of 1/4" steel to slip
between the shock and shocktower, since this area bends so easily.  Look,
yours is probably bent...

I upgraded to 8.5" 480lb/in springs off of god knows what from someone I met
online.

Basically that is it.  The alignment has not be finalized yet.  Right now it
is 1/16" toe out in the front and the rear is at something resembling 0 toe,
considering the radius arms change the toe with the slightest change in rear
suspension angle, ie take your best guess, it will be different in every
possible way every time you turn or accelerate.

Front is about 3deg neg camber, which seems to make my three year old road
race compound yoko's happy.  This will vary by tire choice.  If I was
running hoosier bias plies, there would be more angle and the opposite if I
were to use the hoosier radial autox compound.  As for kuhmo or bfg, I need
another student loan check to find out.  The rear suspension is at about neg
4deg camber, varying by the weight of the large driver.  But really, the
lower the better in these cars.

I hope this helps, ask anything else that comes to mind,

jim
http://home.att.net/~ascc/pgmftriumph.jpg

this link demonstrates said spitfire prior to any significant modification.
need I say more as to why the stiffer springs were necessary.