Water pump pulley

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Water pump pulley
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 12:28:18 -0400

I was going to install the new electric fan this weekend but thought I
should first remove the clutch and fan off the old water pump without
taking the water pump off the car.  The fan came off easy enought but
the clutch was a different matter.  I thought I was being clever when
I thought of using two bolt through the holes for the fan on the clutch.
I then put a nut on the other side of each bolts, and tighten the nuts
onto the clutch.  By holding the nuts with a wrench and tighten up the
bolts I was actually pushing the clutch against the pulley.  That seem to
worked very well because the clutch was comming off.

However when the clutch was finally off I found out the portion of the
pulley where the clutch is pressed onto has broken off from the pulley
and it is still in the clutch.  Now the pulley is loose because it's
pressed fitted onto the water pump shaft and there is not much of it
(only the width of te pull) left on the shaft.

I tried running the car to see if the pulley will stay, but the pulley
actually came off the shaft.  The only thing stop the pulley from
damaging the radiator was a hose clamp that I put on the water pump shaft,
I was lucky.  Has anyone had a similar problem, any suggestion and
advise would be appreciated.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html