Tuning/Emissions Question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tuning/Emissions Question
From: "david_schenck" <david_schenck@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 22:11:00 -0400
List,

I have finally got my new trans in and can almost drive my car.  I have a
tuning problem.  I can't seem to get my car tuned right.  I read the tuning
instructions in the books and they say to check timing, valves, etc and then
get car to idle at 900 and adjust the carb.  I can't seem to get my car
running anywhere below 1500 (without stalling out) and it has absolutely no
power it putters when I accelerate.  I have a '78 with some of the emissions
equipment in place but it is certainly not functional.  I need to keep the
appearance of the original emissions equipment for the MD emissions test.
What am I missing or can I do to get this thing running half-way decently?
Should I try to replace the emissions stuff with stuff that works?  Do I not
have some of stuff blocked off?  What have people done to block the old
emissions equipment?  Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!

Dave

'78 Spit in Baltimore