Shoreham Airshow - the 'Bear' Essentials

To: "SpitList" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shoreham Airshow - the 'Bear' Essentials
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:00:24 +0100
Mother Nature smiled on me today as I drove the 50 miles to Shoreham under
clear blue skies, tho it was rather chilly. As I got there cloud had come
over and it was patchy all day with the sun shining through at times but dry
at least.

There were quite a lot of cars there, some on club stands but mostly
individuals. Baby Blue ended up sandwiched between a little 1934 Austin and
a Cadillac sedan deville. The TR register had a good showing and there were
at least 6 ford Anglias (angleboxes) lined up in a row. Guess who used the
last picture on the roll of film just before I came across the beautiful
1939 Triumph Dolomite. It had so much chrome at the front you needed
sunglasses just to look at it.

Of course it was an airshow and there were some very good displays from the
biplane aerobatic team to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, a
Lancaster, a Spitfire and a Hurricane, what a great sound as they came over
the airfield. There were 5 Spitfires at the show in all including a pink one
(sorry, 6, BB was the only ground version on show), two parachute drops,
marines abseiling from a Sea King helicopter, a stunt pilot landing on and
taking off from a trailer towed along the airfield, two biplanes with
wing-walkers, aerobatic displays by a plane & a helicopter, and a Mustang in
the air above me while another (ground version again) was parked behind me.

There was an added reason for today being a special day to see those wartime
aircraft still flying, today being the 61st anniversary of the day war was
declared - at least it is for those of us this side of the Atlantic. And all
these years on, there's still not 'peace in our time...'

Suzie