Re: Tuning SU's

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Tuning SU's
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 02:36:32 -0400
Joe Curry wrote:
> I have found that it is possible to get an idle as low as
> 800 rpm, but 1K is probably acceptable.

  My Spit engined Midget used to idle at 600rpm all day, but
that was using the single ZS. With a single throat even at
idle the air velocity is enough to keep it smooth and keep the
fuel atomized. Vacuum retard might have helped too.

  With twin SUs I can't get it nearly that smooth. Although
worth mentioning my twin SUed MGB would idle at 500rpm. It
felt like an engine-operation course, you could see and hear
every part moving. ;>

  Anyways Joe you make some great points on tuning SUs.

  I've never had a trouble with any of mine, but I just tune
them by the manual which probably helps.

  Although it may make you feel like a five-year-old, the
shop-manual method is pretty bulletproof. Joe's words should
get you on the same path.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca