Re: Tuning SU's

To: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tuning SU's
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 02:18:01 -0400

In message <3.0.6.32.20000901220533.00b89aa0@mx.picarefy.com>you write:

>Restart the engine and start adjusting the jet screws up and down until the
>engine runs smoothly at 550 with no misfiring.  Again impossible.  No luck
>at all.  Worse yet, I'm now so far off the engine barely runs.  I was
>better off with the steady miss. :/

  Place note that screwing the jets up and down is to adjust the mixture
  not setting the idle speed.  You use the idle speed adjusting screw
  located on the side of the carbs to adjust the idle speed.  Use
  these screws to get the idle speed as close to 700-800 rpm as possible
  then lift the damper by 1/32" if the engine speeds increase, turn the
  jet up lean the carb. because that means your mixture is rich.
  Turn the jet down if the speed decreases.  Repeat this until you get
  to the 7-800 rpm idle speed and the engine speeds up and then settle
  down when the damper raise by 1/32"

  Also, Is your engine running way rich all the time now?  If it is, you
  might want to check the needle valve at the top of the float.  They might
  not be sealing properly and letting gas through so you always have a rich
  mixture.  Another thing is to take the dash pot and damper off and look
  down at the jets.  The fuel level should be around 1/16" to 1/8" below the
  top of the jets.  If not, check the float levels.

  I hope I'm making sense at 2:20AM, good luck.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html