RE: Tense driving lately

To: "'Jeff McNeal'" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: RE: Tense driving lately
From: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:38:36 -0500
It is interesting that high schools' mission is to prepare young people to
function in society, but they don't include operating a car in that mission.
My guess is it is centered around money.

        Amen to your P.S.    I think I will teach my 13 yr old to drive the
Spit when he is interested in learning, and only after
        he knows how to drive a 'regular' car;   but drive it without me in
it?...NEVER.  I will help (labor, not money) him get his own
        if he likes.  Actually, I'd like to see him do without a car for a
good, long time.  Too much of a distraction.

        I taught my daughter to drive a 5 speed Honda Civic.  It helps
having a low first gear; very much like a VW Beetle.
        She learned pretty quick, but I remember having to work at being
patient, and expect mistakes.  She has been driving a
        manual ever since.

        My most vivid memory from MY driver's ed...I pulled up to a stop
sign, the instructor said to turn left, "OK",  I put on the turn signal for
a right turn..."Turn left here."   "OK"    I then signaled for a left turn
and promptly made a right turn.  "Where the hell do you think you're taking
us?"  Ooops.
        Terry Banbury
        Mk III....with a turn signal indicator light that doesn't care (or
show) which way you intend to turn.