Re: seatbelts

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: seatbelts
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:42:22 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Joe Curry wrote:

> Having just attended Traffic school (don't ask), I can say that in
> Arizona, cars older than 1972 are not required to have seatbelts.  The
> reason given is that was the first year that belts were required by
> law.  I thought it was earlier than that!

It was earlier. I'm almost positive that lap belts for all seat positions
were mandatory by the 1967 model year if not before. And I am positive
that front outboard shoulder belts were required on cars assembled for
sale in the US on or after January 1, 1968. Note that there was some sort
of exemption on the shoulder belts for convertibles, which is why not all
Spitfires and TRs had lap/shoulder belts until the early 1970s.

There is other confusion in that some states required belts earlier than
others and, in some cases, well before any Federal standards took effect.

--Andy