Re: Oil coolers and rocker feeders - leaks

To: "Childs, David" <dchilds@epri.com>
Subject: Re: Oil coolers and rocker feeders - leaks
From: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:31:22 -0700
Putting two gaskets on could be the cause.  Here's why I'm thinking this.  A
few years ago a friend did an oil change on his Toyota.  He didn't notice
the old oil filters rubber gasket had stuck on the block.  He installed the
new filter and therefore had 2 gaskets mounted.  He drove about 3 miles and
suddenly had a huge trial of oil emerging onto the road and smoke from the
oil spraying on the exhaust.  He thought he had the wrong filter or
something and when he removed it he discovered the extra gasket.  It was
spraying out between the two gaskets.
If you feel you need two gaskets then the surfaces must not be smooth or
flush.  Work on that.
Peter S