Re: Roof fit

To: "Tom Harvey" <tom@tomh.demon.co.uk>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roof fit
From: "Phil Johnson" <spitfire.man@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:59:05 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Harvey <tom@tomh.demon.co.uk>
To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 1999 7:03 PM
Subject: Roof fit

> Bearing in mind the dire weather that we are currently having in the UK
> (and probably will be until the spring) I have two questions about
> waterproofing a spitfire roof.
>
> 1) Has anyone /ever/ managed to get a water-proof fit on a spit soft-
> top?
>
> Mine has a small gap along the top edge of the door windows (worse on
> driver side). Fitting a new (and better proportioned) hood helped a
> little, but I still get wet in all but light rain. The front edge (top
> of windscreen) also leaks a little in heavy rain. I don't think I have
> ever seen a perfect fit soft-top on a spit.

What Mk Spitfire is it? My Mk2 seals well across the front - the hood tucks
under the aluminium screen finisher. Late Spitfires with the over centre
catches  can be adjusted slightly to make the header seal a better fit. The
levers seem to wear the pins that hold them down . Have you tried a new
header rail seal? Is the mounting channel secure/ in good condition/ sealed
to the header rail? Is the aluminium screen capping sealed to the top of the
windscreen?

As for the windows, how much play in the runners is there? How much does the
window get sucked out when you are travelling. Try replacing o packing out
the nylon window channel bearings so that they ae a better fit, check the
weatherstips for a good fit. Has the doorskin been replaced? Is the gap for
the window too wide so as not to allow the outer and inner door window seals
to help support the doorglass?

Strangely enough, the fit of the doorglass to the hood profile and hardtop
profile on my car is not as good as the passenger side, even after much
adjustment. I used new doorglasses, but they both seemed the same when I was
assembling the windows...

> 2) Is the seal on a hard-top any better?
>
> Now that winter is creeping up I am seriously considering purchase of a
> hard-top to make winter driving a little more pleasant (no more
> embarrassing stains on my trousers when I get to work... well, not from
> the car anyway). Am I about to waste my money?

A hard top does make the inside a little bit quieter and perhaps a little
less draughty. As mentioned, my drivers side doorglass is not as good a fit
as the passenger side also, so I still experience a little blowby in rain.
As the hardtop is more rigid, any play in your door windows will show up
more than with the soft top in my experience, but you may be OK and you have
the advantage of being able to use thicker profile doorseal. The front
header seal on the hardtop is more substantial than on the soft top, and I
have not found any problems here.

Best of luck
==
Phil Johnson
Spitfire/GT6 Secretary Club Triumph (UK)
www.club.triumph.org.uk/

1966 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
1968 GT6 Mk1 KC13299
1977 TR7 ACG15216