Blown Head Gasket saga and a question! HELP!

To: "Scions of Stanpart" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Blown Head Gasket saga and a question! HELP!
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 23:37:33 -0400
Well it happened!
...took Punkin' out for her first real  (150 mile) country cruise.....90%
highway
speeds. No O/D so the rev's were hovering at 3500-4000 the first hour and a
half.
On the return trip... HHhhmmm... she's running a little warm... what's up?
Hey What's that sound all of a sudden?  Sounds like the fan hitting
something.
Wait a second I don't have a water pump fan...mines electric on the front
of the radiator and this sound is speed dependent.... better pull over.

Sure enough...open the bonnet... started the engine... put my hand down
below the carb
near the fire wall... a big blast of air pulsing to the beat of the engine.

It might have been stupid.... but I drove it the rest of the 25 miles home.
checked the engine over briefly... had a wedding to got to in two hours.
...No oil anywhere...no 'blow-by' soot. My header plate covers the seam
between
block and head so I couldn't do a visual directly.

QUESTION: Who makes a good head gasket for the Spitfire 1500
and what kind of damage can I expect to find when I pop the head?
(after driving it 25 miles that way.)  It seemed like the power really
didn't drop off
THAT much, but it was definitely noisy HELP!!

Paul Tegler
1973 MGBGT - Daily Driver
1975 Spitfire - in Cherry shape
1980 Spitfire - in re-hab
1978 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
wizardz@toad.net
http://www.teglerizer.com
(see menu for MG Automobiles  and Triumph Automobiles)