Re: 4 Spd. to OVD swap

To: A666K@aol.com
Subject: Re: 4 Spd. to OVD swap
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 06:44:27 -0700
>Hey Barry,
>I am not too clear about the modification to the car for the O.D.. Let me
>know if I got it right. The metal part of my transmission tunnel needs to be
>cut further back then where it currently ends, so that it can accommodate
the
>O.D.. Did the O.D. cars have a different cardboard trans cover? If not was
>there some sort of intermediate cover?
This mod would only be required if the car doesn't have a black, sheet
metal cover, located under the rear most portion of the removable
transmission cover, and extending about 6 inches back.  If equipped, this
cover, held on with a couple of sheet metal screws is just an extension of
the floor sheet metal of the driveshaft tunnel (that was removed), and
allows for the additional clearance needed for the O/D installation.  On
some cars, (as was mine) this cover was not there because no overdrive was
installed in these vehicles from the factory.  This, as may have been
pointed out, may only apply to earlier (pre 76?) cars -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)