Re: PDWA & brake warning light/switch test??

To: Walt Fogle <foglew@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: PDWA & brake warning light/switch test??
From: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <ktkenyon@borg.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:30:50 -0400

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:10:52 PDT
"Walt Fogle" <foglew@hotmail.com> wrote:

|Hello All:
|
|Since buying my '73 Spitfire in January 99 I have been fixing, restoring,
|upgrading, etc. various systems.  I discovered that the "Brake Warning" bulb
|was missing while replacing the speedo light.  Inserted new bulb and it
|glows beautifully.  All the time.
|
|While it is certainly possible that I have activated the PDWA valve to an
|off-center position, the brakes appear to be solid and both systems are
|working.
|
|Does anyone know of a test, perhaps with a V.O.M. of the pressure warning
|"switch" that is electrically connected to the oil pressure switch?  Maybe
|there is a short in the switch and that is all that needs replacing.  Any
|help is appreciated.
|
|Thanks and best regards,
|
|Walt Fogle
|'73 Spitfire 1500, FM4723U

I have the same thing on my 72.  The PWDA is just a shuttle that runs
back and forth.  It is assumed that the pressure, being the same on both
sides, would not move the shuttle off side.  If a pressure loss is
experienced, the shuttle is moved to the low side.  Even if the loss if
fixed, the pressure will be equal and the shuttle will not move back.

The fix is to do a *slight* and slow bleed on the side that was NOT bad
in order to move the shuttle back.  I haven't found any way to show me
which way to go though.  I assume that I'll have to guess and try one, then
do the right one (always happens like that)!

Good Luck...

Thanks,

Kirby T. Kenyon