Re: Spitfire trim and dash indicator question

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire trim and dash indicator question
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:12:30 -0700

Atwell Haines wrote:

[...]
> >  The other question pertains to the
> >rectangular warning lights used in 70 and later vehicles, specifically,
> >whether or not there was a "check engine" or "warning" version available.
> >The only one's I have say "brake" for the PDWA switch, and I am looking for
> >one that say's something to the effect "check engine"? If you have one,
> >would you also be willing to part with it?  It must be one of those
> >rectangular versions used in the dash of Spitfires And possibly TR6's, not
> >something that's just similar as the dash I made has a rectangular
> >countersink specifically for that indicator style.
>

> Can't be for a 'real' Spitfire engine, can it?   :)   I don't think you
> will find exactly what you are looking for...but you might be able to make
> one.  Carefully pry the red lens off another one, and sand or polish the
> writing off of it. Then get some vinyl letters of the correct size from an
> art store, rub them on, and paint a dark mask over the letters.  Remove the
> letters, and Voila!  Custom warning indicators!

Actually, it's even easier than that (if the thing your talking about is
the same as on 1500 spits)
The later spits include 'Seat Belt' 'Catalyst' 'Hazard' and 'Brake'.
Not quite what you want. But, these things are actually made of three
layers. A clear plastic face, black film with transperant writing, and
a red film.

Pop clear plastic face off, remove the film with the lettering on it.
Now get some transperancy film at you're local office supply,
create your own text in an image program, (with white lettering on
a black background) and print it on the transperancy film.

Maybe use that nifty bomb icon from the Mac ?

I'll be making one eventually...

> But wait, you don't have long cold winters in So.California do you?  Maybe
> you won't have the time....   :)   :)   :)

;-)

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com