Re: Spitfire trim and dash indicator question

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire trim and dash indicator question
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:20:42 -0400
At 06:17 AM 09/21/1999 -0700, Barry Schwartz wrote:

>Listers,
>Has anyone had any experience with ordering, specifically the Spitfire rear
>tail lamp panel, lower, polished, stainless steel trim piece that sits just
>below the licence plate (part number 715697) from any of the "Big three"?

Barry,

That piece is always metal AFAIK.   However, they were made in Black or
Stainless just like the rear fender capping.  Try to ascertain that you get
the correct one.  I notice the VB catalog calls it out in Stainless only
(pg 43, item 27, item 9-9444).

>  The other question pertains to the
>rectangular warning lights used in 70 and later vehicles, specifically,
>whether or not there was a "check engine" or "warning" version available.
>The only one's I have say "brake" for the PDWA switch, and I am looking for
>one that say's something to the effect "check engine"? If you have one,
>would you also be willing to part with it?  It must be one of those
>rectangular versions used in the dash of Spitfires And possibly TR6's, not
>something that's just similar as the dash I made has a rectangular
>countersink specifically for that indicator style.

Can't be for a 'real' Spitfire engine, can it?   :)   I don't think you
will find exactly what you are looking for...but you might be able to make
one.  Carefully pry the red lens off another one, and sand or polish the
writing off of it. Then get some vinyl letters of the correct size from an
art store, rub them on, and paint a dark mask over the letters.  Remove the
letters, and Voila!  Custom warning indicators!

But wait, you don't have long cold winters in So.California do you?  Maybe
you won't have the time....   :)   :)   :)

Good Luck.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA
"We are born naked, wet, and hungry....Then things get worse."