74 --> 77 Steering U-joint swapping?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 --> 77 Steering U-joint swapping?
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:58:39 -0400
Before I go too crazy - does anyone know if the steering column u-joint
from a 74 will fit the shaft on a newer style 77 column. The newer type
with the ugly plastic binacle and wiper switch etc.. I bought a replacement
u-joint 18 months ago from Moss - it has gone bad already due to oil having
gotten on it from a leak and dissolving the little rubber bushings (mostly
my fault for not noticing. I have a perfectly good one on my 74 parts car.
I plan to put large diameter heat shrink tubing (but not shrink it) over it
and tie it off with some zip ties for protection this time. I actually
would like to swap the entire column and switches and everything between
the two cars, but the thought of all that wiring leaves me a bit cold....

Kevin Rhodes
Portland Maine
Freddy the Spit of many model years...