Re: Tranny Repair Cost

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, kirk.crawford@beachnet.com
Subject: Re: Tranny Repair Cost
From: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:16:06 +0100

Kirk,

I found that the price I was quoted for gearbox repair, excluding parts, was the
same price as a reconditioned o/d gearbox from John Kipping.  The gearbox cost
me £150 ($250), and has been in my car for several months (including three
round-trips of 200+ miles) with no problems at all.  I don't know what the cost
of gearboxes is in the States, but add about $150 labour for fitting a new
gearbox (unless you want to do that yourself), and shipping from the UK, and the
Kipping gearbox will work out about the same price as getting your own gearbox
fixed.  Of course, if gearboxes are about the same price in the States, then
you'll save yourself a fortune in shipping if you order from somewhere else....

Dean