Re: Spring sag on one side (just a little longer -)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring sag on one side (just a little longer -)
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:57:56 -0700
Well, I tried to jump into this discussion earlier,
but some bureaucrat managed to loose our payment to internic. Ooops...
I hope we didn't bounce-spam you all to badly while it was down.

Anyway, having one of those spits with perpetual lean,
I've spent some time looking at the various causes.

1) The spring - reversed the spring with no effect
2) The little pad in the center of the spring clamp.
In my case, this thing had been completely squished on
one side and pushed out one side of the clamp. The other
side of the clamp was metal on metal. (Incidentally, there are
supposed to be to little metal bumps that keep the pad in place.
If your pad wears out, chances are that one or both of these
bumps has been flattened out, allowing the pad to squish out
more easily) Replacing the pad with some rubber sheet
obtained form the hardware store improved handling noticeably (turning
right now feels the same as turning left,) but did not affect lean.
3) Chassis damage in the front of the car. My car has obviously been
hit (and 'repaired') in the front. After doing some measuring while
the engine was out of the car, it is clearly out of whack. I'll
report back after we straighten it out.

As for the swing spring vs. camber compensator question, I have no
opinion (except that, on cheapo street tires at least, the swing
spring style has a nice predictable drift, without threat of swapping
ends). I have, however, learned of a fairly easy way to narrow
240sx five link IRS to spit width ...

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com