Front-end project questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com
Subject: Front-end project questions
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:49:56 -0500
Hello all,

I think my next project is going to be repairing a bent upright on the
passenger side of the front-end.
This is the piece that appears to be part of the chassis, but is in fact
bolted onto the chassis.
While I am replacing that part, I would like to finally install two new
coil springs. I have been told though, that the spring compressor sold
by Victoria British does not work. The hooks that are supposed to grab
the spring do not fit in the space available to hook onto it.

Q1: Have any of you purchased and successfully used the tool from VB?
Q2: If this does not work, as I was told, where do I get one that does?
Q3: I'm planning on unbolting the engine mounts and jacking up the
engine out of the way. Any suggestions for this process?
Q4: The upright I have is BRG, my car is carmin red. I will paint it
before installing it. Should I prep and paint the chassis that I can get
to while it's apart?

Any other advice, pointers or caveats are (as always) most welcome!

TIA,

Vic