Re: GT6 OD question

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>,
Subject: Re: GT6 OD question
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:09:31 +0100 (BST)
--- Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net> wrote:

> I'm going to take a peek at a '72 GT-6 later this
> week.  According to the
> current owner, during a telephone converstaion, he
> claims the OD to be a "J"
> type.  When I responded that I thought the GT-6 to
> have been fitted with a
> "D" type, he tells me that he had it specially
> built??
> What am I going to look at here -- what "other"
> tranny/OD's would fit in a
> GT-6?

Late Spitfires (from FH60000, and Spit 1500's) used
the J Type overdrive. It is a stronger unit than the
earlier D Type. It is possible to get conversions to
allow the J Type to be fitted to GT6 gearboxes.

For overdrive conversion kits, John Kippings
(http://www.kipping.co.uk) only recommends the J Type
o/d for GT6 o/d conversions.

Hope this helps.
===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299