advertising rip-offs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: advertising rip-offs
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:55:52 -0400
Listers, in my continuing struggles to put the very best and original
mechanical parts on my LBC, I would like to read what is printed on a parts
box as well as the installation instructions enclosed in the box, as I'm
sure you all will, please correct me if my feelings are off-base ==AP
Automotive Products ==Marketed by Automotive Products plc., Leamington Spa.
England  (outside of box) ==instructions highlighted at the top of the page
==AP   BORG&BECK, then how to details, on the bearing is "JAPAN",
absolutely no place on the box or work sheet does it say this is a B & B
part, or this is made to our specs., or this product as the original. The
box reads "Marketed by", not made-by, or sold by. I think this is another
classic example of preying upon a unsuspecting hoobbiest with a cheap
imitation made by anyone for whatever price is the cheapest, quality is of
no concern, service and durabilty are no concern. I have never and would
never "Race" my car, I do not ride the clutch, my car is maintained ahead of
myself, and yet I get 2 years use out of a complete clutch kit, that I
thought was a NOS type B & B, not "Marketed-By", or Made in "JAPAN". I think
the parts houses should have a little more accountabilty to this entire
community than to resort to such cheap marketing ploys and tricks, I like to
think what goes around comes around, some businesses are going to learn the
"NET" and especially "Major Domo" are becoming more and more powerful
everyday. This product should not be on the market being advertised
"AS-ORIGINAL". I think it may be a good idea for all of the list to start
reading the labels a little closer and letting others know when thes3e
things occur, the message gets around.  "FT"