RE: 70 spit fast idle

To: "'Dean Dashwood'" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: 70 spit fast idle
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:51:57 +0100

> I can't really help you, but timing being out causes engines
> to run less
> smoothly, not faster.

Not really true. I usually set up timing by running the engine upto
temperature, then adjusting the timing to give the fastest possible idle
speed. Then I retard so the revs drop back by 100rpm. This usually works
fine, but is obviously dependant on the carbs being set up ok. I don't
guarantee this will work on all set ups, but it works for me!

> As for the run-on, this definitely isn't the timing, because
> the timing only
> affects the ignition circuit, and the ignition circuit is
> turned off when you
> shut the engine down (hence why it is called the "ignition
> key").  Run-on is
> caused by the heat of the engine causing the petrol to
> explode

.....and of course if your timing is too far advanced your engine will run
hot, causing run-on after shutdown.....

Having said that, I too suspect the problem is with the carb. Fast running
can be caused by an air leak, either through the carb or manifold area. I'm
not too hot on Strombergs, but make sure there is a good seal between all
carb and inlet manifold mountings, and make sure there is no play in the
spindles where air can be drawn. The rubber diaphragm on the Stromberg is
something to be wary of, though I'm not aware of a failure here causing a
fast idle.
        That's about all I can add really,
                Regards,
                        Bill.